Hypothetical syllogismlogic, a hypothetical syllogism is a valid argument of the following form:
- P → Q.
- Q → R.
- Therefore, P → R.
- If I do not wake up, then I cannot go to work.
- If I cannot go to work, then I will not get paid.
- Therefore, if I do not wake up, then I will not get paid.
Example counterfactual premises which could be used in a valid hypothetical syllogism:
- If George Washington had a beard, he would look distinguished
- If Yogi Bera had hit 800 home runs, that would be amazing