Lexicologydictionary or thesaurus. The term first appeared in the 1820's, though obviously there were lexicologists before that.
As there are many different types of dictionaries, there are many different types of lexicologists. There are difficulties is working out what simple words such as 'the' mean, and what complicated words mean. Also which words to keep in and which not to include.
- Damaso Alonso, (Oct. 22, 1898-) Spanish literary critic and lexicologist
- Roland Barthes, (Nov. 12, 1915-Mar. 25, 1980) French writer, critic and lexicologist
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- Pierre Larousse (1817-1875)
- Noah Webster
- Words, Meaning, and Vocabulary: An Introduction to Modern English Lexicology, (ed. H. Jackson); ISBN 0304703966
- Toward a Functional Lexicology, (ed. G. Wotjak); ISBN 0820435260
- Lexicology, Semantics, and Lexicography, (ed. J. Coleman); ISBN 1556199724
- Association for Automatic Language Processing (ATALA), Paris, France http://www.atala.org
- International Training in Communication (ITC) http://www.itcintl.com
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), Minneapolis, MN http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/aila