Pandora's BoxPandora, which released all the sorrows of mankind into the world when opened; it also contained the spirit Hope.
Some scholars contend that Pandora's "box" may have been a mistranslation, and instead her "box" may have been a large jar, forged from the earth. In fact, there is some evidence that suggests Pandora herself was the jar. It was common in history to have jars with the image of women on them.
A number of other meanings has come from this mythological origin:
- a play by Frank Wedekind, Die Büchse der Pandora in the original German; see Pandora's Box.
- a film based on the Wedekind play directed by G. W. Pabst and starring Louise Brooks; see Pandora's Box.
- a novel by Scottish writer Alice Thompson.
- a video game designed by Alexey Pajitnov, the co-developer of Tetris; see Pandora's Box.
- a commercial BDSM establishment in New York.