Salttable salt (sodium chloride).
- a base and an acid, forming a salt + water, e.g. 2NaOH + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2H2O sodium sulfate
- a metal and an acid, forming a salt + hydrogen, e.g. Mg + H2SO4 --> MgSO4 + H2 magnesium sulfate
- an acid forming oxide and a base forming oxide, forming a salt, e.g. CO2 + CaO --> CaCO3 calcium carbonate
Salts are named according to their constituent ions. The cationic components, often metal ions or ammonium, are given first, followed by the anionic components. Anions are often named according to the their conjugate acid:
- acetates are the salts of acetic acid
- carbonates are the salts of carbonic acid
- chlorides are the salts of hydrochloric acid
- cyanides are the salts of hydrogen cyanide
- nitrates are the salts of nitric acid
- nitrites are the salts of nitrous acid
- phosphates are the salts of phosphoric acid
- sulfates are the salts of sulfuric acid
- citrates are the salts of citric acid
Salt is also a municipality of over 20,000 people in Gironès comarca, Girona province, Catalonia, Spain.
Salt is also a term associated with cryptography