- a way of telling about things, actions, and ideas.
- a set of meanings common to different people
- a form of thinking
- symbols implying actions or inactions
Some people speak of 'animal languages', but others can't agree and say that these 'animal languages' are not hard, clear or meaningful enough to be 'true' languages. This again depends on the definition.
Mathematics and computer science use made up languages called formal languages (like computer programming languages), which may or may not be 'true' languages. Mathematics itself is considered a language by many theorists.
Information about language on wikipedia
The information on Common phrases in different languages could be interesting for travelers.
- Basic English
- E Prime
- English as a foreign language
- Essential World English
- Special English
- Computer assisted language learning (a historical perspective)
- the Ethnologue, gives a thorough list of all languages, places, people, and genetic relations.
- General semantics
- Language education
- List of the 1000 most common words In English
- Philology and Historical_Linguistics
- Philosophy of language
- Sapir-Whorf hypothesis
- Mother tongue
- Second language
- Speech therapy